How to Make Quilted Silver Beads
After making the leaf bead, I was impressed with the detail made possible by the metal clay. Therefore, I decided to use the same technique but create a different look. When I finished making these beads, I thought they looked as though they had been "quilted." Before firing, each bead weighed about 5.43 grams. After firing, they are about 3.8 grams each. The size and weight of your beads may depend on how large you make them and the size of the straw that you use for creating the holes in the beads.
To make these beads, you'll need:
6 playing cards
*This mesh material should be easy to find at most fabric stores because they usually carry a variety of trims and laces. If you've ever sewn, you might even have a bag of scraps around that some interesting textures to try.
1. Divide your playing cards into two stacks with three cards in each stack and set them on your work surface with a few inches between each stack.
2. Place your ball of clay in between the stacks.
3. Rub some olive oil on your roller.
4. You should have some oil on your hands now, so take the piece of cloth in between your hands and get it a little oily. It doesn't need much oil, but this will help keep it from sticking to your clay.
5. Roll out the clay.
6. Now place your mesh cloth over the flat clay.
7. Roll out the clay again so that the mesh cloth is pressed into the clay, and pull off the cloth.
8. Now use the knife to cut out a square of clay that measures approximately 1 inch wide and 1 ¼ inch long. Make sure to cut the piece so that all the little squares created by the mesh are even.
9. Take the clay piece and warp it around your straw. I had a little extra clay in my length, so after wrapping it around the straw, I cut off the excess.
10. You want to seal both ends of the clay that are wrapped around the straw together. I used the end of a small paint brush to push the clay together. Be very careful when you do this so that you don't mess up the design on your clay.
11. To ensure that one side of the bead isn't flat, either set the straw up right in a bowl of vermiculite so that the clay is able to dry, or you can position the straw over a small jar.
12. Once the clay is dry, you may need to use fine sand paper or an emery board to file the ends of the bead so that they are even.
13. Fire your beads in a kiln at 1650 degrees F or 900 degrees C for two hours. During the firing process, be careful of the fumes from the plastic straw that will burn out. These are toxic! Do not breath in these toxic fumes!
14. Finish your beads by polishing them.
These quilted beads just show one way to use this technique. So, look around your house for some interesting textures you can roll into your metal clay.
Sterling Silver Beads Wholesale Store dewatabali.com
Woodworking Tools: Right Selection And Care Will Save You Money, Part 6
Woodworking: Tools Of The Trade, Part 6 - Finishing EquipmentA civilization's maturity and intelligence is judged, in part, by the diversity and sophistication of its tools. When it comes to woodworking, the human race is quite advanced.
A Beginners Guide to Buying Authentic Swords Online
Looking at all the various swords for sale online can make you feel a bit like a kid in a candy store. But if you are looking to buy authentic replica swords online, it can be a bit harder to get what you really want than it otherwise might first appear?Sure, if you are just looking for an ornamental sword to hang on the wall - it's pretty easy.
Cleaning Silk Bouquets In 3 Simple Steps
How To Clean A Silk BouquetA Silk bouquet can last a lot longer than a bouquet made of real flowers, but it will still droop, and get dusty, over time. Fortunately a little bit of preventive care can go a long way towards keeping your bouquet looking like new.
Scrapbooking on a Budget
Memories are priceless, but the cost of preserving them can be high. Here are nine tips for making the most of your scrapbooking budget.
Leather Work Tips
For leather work, consider the basics: an awl and spare point, a retractable X-acto knife and spare blades, a retractable knife with a break-off blade and a rotary punch. In addition, you'll need needles, a lump of beeswax and some waxed linen thread.
Discover the Truth about Comic Book Collection; Nerdy Geeks or Shrewd Investors?
It is unbelievable when one says, yeah, I collect comic books, what the general public response might be? Oh no, a slightly off the wall geek. Here is someone who has lost touch with reality.
Ideas for Making Gift Baskets
Do you want to give gifts to your friends or family for birthdays, Christmas or some other holiday, but you just don't know what to get them?Just take a decorative basket and you can create a gift basket filled with great items that either your friends or family will love.The items basically you will need to create a gift basket will include:**A decorative basket;**Shrink wrap;**Any color tissue paper;**Different assortment of shredded paper.
Rubber Stamps and Scrapbooking - Keep Kids Busy with Crafts This Summer
They're out of school and back to torment the neighborhood this summer. You remember the days.
Is There Money To Be Made In Depression Glass
You've seen the shows on television. You've watched the auctions online.
Five Ways To Find New Markets for Your Dog and Cat Art
As you create your dog and cat art, you will find that you would like to find a market for your many non-commissioned pieces. When it comes to generic dog and cat art, keep the following tips in mind:1.
Basic foldsMost of the designs that you will learn will use a square piece of paper - and most will be done with origami paper, so the directions will show a colored (or gray side to indicate color) and a white side.Also, most patterns will have an arrow that points you in the direction of where the fold should go.
Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums - 5 Tips for Success
Do you dream of watching the natural beauty of the undersea reef life while sitting in your living room?Whether your goal is a nano reef tank or a 150 gallon aquarium with an ecosystem of coral and saltwater fish, the following five tips will lead you on your way to success.1) Commit! Decide you are going to spend the $$ it takes to make a proper go of it.
Endless Possibilites With Custom Printed Lanyards
Custom printed lanyards are an extremely popular item and are readily available for purchase through a large amount of suppliers. Many suppliers have detailed e-commerce sites that allow buyers to select a lanyard style and customize it without ever having to leave their office or home.
Origami Secrets Revealed
Origami, or the art of paper folding, has been around for centuries. It is one of the most intricate, but at the same time simple expressions of art in the world.
Make Your Own Lampshades
When redecorating your room, you may be faced with looking for new lampshades (or perhaps a lampshade you currently have has gotten damaged). So why not make your own!If your lamp currently has a lampshade on it, half of the battle is already won! You have a base to start building your new shade.
Do You Really Know What You're Buying?
Recently, I had the opportunity to attend a popular gift show in my local area. My purpose in attending this gift show was to scope out my competition and the quality of their soy candles compared to what I offer.
Embroidery Basting Frames Use for Stabilizing Designs
Using a basting frame around designs can do a great deal to help prevent fabric puckers around a design, aid in positioning multiple or split designs and it's the best way to trap the fabric and stabilizer at the start! You will need editing software for this, but for best results, resize the frames to fit as close to the design as possible. It's also possible to use a basting frame even if you don?t have embroidery software to combine the frame with a design.
More Than A Memory- A Legacy
Everyone has that box of pictures either in a close or in a garage. Even worse yet in a magnetic album.
Invitation Envelopes - Make or Break Your Party
What will separate your party from all the other events of the season? Of all the planning that goes into your special occasion, there is no excuse to forget about specialty envelopes. Your invitation is the first impression that you and your party will have.
Marking Tools and Laser Marking Machines for Marking on Metals
Marking tools are used for marking metals and non-metal surfaces. Mark can be a company logo designed with alphabets, numeric pattern or any graphical shape.
|home | site map © 2013|